Saturday, February 18, 2012

Zentangles and Furniture

Has anyone ever seen Zentangle Art? It is basically art made from simple repeated doodle shapes that we all draw given a pen, paper and some idle time. Usually done in black and white; they can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make them. 

Lately I have seen these types of patterns everywhere.  In fabrics, tattoos, cards, jewelry, and clay..  There is also a big trend for black and white in interior deign using bold primary colors as accents.  So being me, my mind started to think about applying this type of artwork to furniture.  

I bought a rocking chair on Craigslist that I was going to refinish and as I looked at it I thought I would try my idea out.  I sanded the whole chair, primed it and painted it white.  The armed with black acrylic paint, a small flat brush and  a lot of time I proceeded to draw patterns over the whole chair.  I did a little each night over the course of a week and when I was satisfied I accented some shapes with a silver paint marker pen..
This is the result:

  All the patterns were random so there wasn't an enormous amount of planning and transferring.  You could transfer a drawing though using using transfer paper and you computer printer.  There are plenty of transfer products available. I like the organic nature and the spontaneity of just drawing it.  What's the worst that can happen?  If it doesn't work you just sand it and paint over it. 

Next time i think I will try this with stain pens.  I love the look of multiple types of wood used in one piece of furniture.  I think the look will be something close to inlay when you finish.  I'm thinking a round table top would be a good choice.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/zentangle/


http://www.etsy.com/shop/bclelandart
 http://www.facebook.com/pages/Barbara-Cleland/212491492147459
http://pinterest.com/barbaracleland/ 

1 comment:

marguerite1997 said...

I'm looking to Zentangle a small table, I bought at a yard sale. I have been tangling for almost three years and it sounded like a great challenge. So I Googled 'Furniture Zentangled" and I saw the beautiful work you have done with this rocker.